Mechanical Design Engineer
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Unison Ltd are not currently considering introductions by recruitment agencies.
The role of mechanical design engineer will consist of working as part of an energetic and progressive design team, providing innovative solutions to our customers that incorporate a high level of industry knowledge and cutting-edge technology.
The role reports directly to the Design Team Leader on day-to-day basis but the role has an element of autonomy to it, requiring you to work on your own initiative and within a team.
- Design and coordination of mechanical and electro-mechanical elements of complex, special purpose machinery, integrated automation systems and robotic cells.
- Evaluate and understands project requirements to plan execution of components design, select system components and prepare design specification.
- Prepare design calculations, specifications, and documentation.
- Generate complex part and assembly models within SolidWorks and co-ordinate the design with other parties.
- Attend design meetings / reviews and be able to communicate your design intent.
- Convert 3D models into General Arrangement and Detail drawings for manufacture in accordance with recognised drawing standards.
- Provide input and advice to the installation team during the installation of the project on-site including the preparation of layout drawings and handover documentation.
- As you progress, the role will develop to include taking ownership of a full project from the initial design concepts through to the final commissioning of the solutions we provide to our customers.
- Some domestic and international travel may be required.
The Candidate will have a minimum of 5 years industry design experience in special purpose machinery and automation systems.
- You will have a mechanical engineering qualification and/or previous proven experience in a similar role.
- A high level of experience in 3D modelling of parts, complex assemblies and producing 2D manufacturing drawings within SolidWorks with a good working knowledge of GD&T.
- Sound knowledge Design for Manufacture principles and manufacturing processes including:
- Machining & Turning
- 3D printing
- Ability to produce both hand calculations and computational simulations to support your designs.
- Good working knowledge in Pneumatic & Hydraulic systems is required.
- Any previous experience in machine tools and tooling design is highly desirable.
- Experience with kinematics of machinery and the ability to size motors, gearboxes, mechanical drive / guide elements in rotary & linear motion systems supported by calculations is required.
- Basic understanding in Drives and Controls.
- Hands-on experience in machine building is desirable.
- Ability to work in a demanding environment, meeting strict deadlines to a high standard and attention to detail is essential.
- Excellent communication skills, the ability to work as part of a team in a collaborative environment and possess a flexible, pro-active, and methodical approach to problem solving.
Hours: 39 hours
Salary: Best rates of pay for the right individual.
Holidays: 32 days a year inclusive of public / bank holidays
Job Type: Full-time
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: In person
5+ years design experience in special purpose machinery and automation.
5+ years experience in 3D modelling of parts, complex assemblies and producing 2D manufacturing drawings within SolidWorks
An appreciation of the French and Spanish language would be beneficial.
Email your CV & a covering letter to [email protected]